Sofia University • Palo Alto, CA
October 25-27, 2013
- Over 20 sessions in four tracks: Peace Making, Education and Youth Outreach, Mind and Body, and Business and Leadership
- Group sessions by Sofia University founder Dr. Robert Frager Shihan, and Aikido Ethiopia Project Coordinator Dr. Lou Pollack
- Keynote by California State Senator Mark Leno: "Aikido and the Art of Politics"
- Early registration discounts through September – don't miss out on this terrific opportunity
Group and breakout sessions will focus on applications of "aiki" in domains such as peace building, business, psychology, education, and youth outreach. Social events, training, and other downtime will allow participants to connect with old friends and new colleagues. Click here to read descriptions of each of the presentations.
|Friday, October 25, 2013|
|1:00p||5:00p||Pre-Conference Workshop: Open Source Aiki Associates|
|8:00p||10:00p||Dinner (not included in Conference fee)|
|Saturday, October 26, 2013|
|7:30a||8:30a||Registration / Open Mat|
|10:00a||10:15a||Welcome – AE President Robert Kent|
|10:15a||11:15a||"Aikido as a Way of Personal Transformation" – Robert Frager Shihan|
|11:30a||12:30p||Martial Nonviolence and Peace Practices (Williamscraig)||The Art of Practice and the Organizational Dojo™ (Giroux)||Building Compassion, Empathy, and Problem Solving in Kids (Richardson, Snell, Allott)|
|12:30a||1:30p||Simple Catered Lunch|
|1:30p||2:30p||Somatic Consensus: Body of Wisdom (Weinstock)||Embodied Leadership (Strozzi-Heckler)||Aikido and Psychotherapy (Lukoff)|
|2:45p||3:45p||Transformational Sword Practice (Wagner)||Aikido Training as a Supplementary Modality for Behavioral Management (Goldsmith, Fennell)||The Action of Peace (Moon)|
|4:00p||5:00p||Perfect Compliments: Restorative Justice and Aikido Practices (Bishop)||AikiCom: Discovering the Aiki Attitude (Vanhenten)||Aikido as a Component in a Holistic Therapy (Osborn)|
|7:00p||9:00p||Dinner and Keynote|
|Sunday, October 27,2103|
|8:30a||9:30a||Taking Care of Ourselves: Positive Approaches to Self Defense (Moore)||Dragon Taming: From Boys to Men (Braude)||Out of the Dojo and Into the Work World (Schalge)|
|9:45a||10:45a||Aikido and Bodywork (Zimron)||Emotional Literacy in At-Risk Youth Populations (Leitzel, Schickendantz)||Body Awareness in Trauma and Peace Making (Linden, Taitel)|
|11:00a||12:15p||Aikido for Law Enforcement (Naylor)||Aikido in Business (Thorsen)||Aikido and Personal Transformation (Ögren, Wright)|
|12:30p||1:30p||Aikido Ethiopia Project – Lou Pollack|
The conference will take place at Sofia University, 1069 East Meadow Circle, Palo Alto, CA 94303 (map). The university is located in the heart of the Silicon Valley and one of the major hubs of U.S. aikido. The university was founded by Robert Frager Shihan, 7th dan and former student of O Sensei.
Sofia University is located between two major airports:
- San Francisco International Airport (25 miles north). From the airport, take BART to the Millbrae Transit Center. Connect to CalTrain, and stop at the San Antonio Station, which is 1.6 miles from the university and .7 miles from the Marriott Courtyard hotel.
- San Jose International Airport (15 miles south). Take CalTrain from the airport to the San Antonio Station, which is 1.6 miles from the university and .7 miles from the Marriott Courtyard hotel.
We may be able to arrange ground transportation from the airport or the CalTrain station. Please indicate your needs on the registration form.
We have several rooms blocked off at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel (650) 941-9900 4320 El Camino Real, which is about 1.6 miles from the university. Ask for the "Aiki Extensions" rate. Availability is not guaranteed after Oct. 3. Some homestays may be available; please indicate your needs in the registration form.
|By Sep 30||After Sep 30|
|Pre Conference Workshop||$59||$79|
|Conference – Current Member Rate* **||$90||$119|
|Conference – Non-Member Rate**||$129||$158|
|New Membership with Registration (for new members only)|
|Individual (save $25)||$25|
Dojo (save $50)
|Both (save $62)||$63|
To register for the conference, fill out the Registration Form, send in your Release Statement, and submit payment by check or credit card/PayPal (no PayPal account is required). Aiki Extensions is a nonprofit organization and cannot offer full or partial refunds.
The early registration discount ends September 30 – don't miss out on big savings for this great Conference.
To register, click the appropriate link:
- Approved Presenters
- Current AE Members (click here if you're not sure if you're a current member)
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact AE's Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (650) 275-2454.